Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Shout Out To My Teaching Peeps

So for the very first time in 13 years, I will not be attending the first day of school. But just because I am no longer a literacy coach does not mean I don't know a great book when I read one. So, if I were headed back into the classroom these are a few books I would be taking with me!Read it, Don't Eat it! By Ian Schoenherr is a funny way to introduce children how to take of books. I would use this book when I introduced my library center or Reader's Workshop.
I'm the Best is about a boastful dog whose bragging almost costs him his friends. I like this book for young readers because often they can become discouraged if they are not reading as well as their classmates. The moral of the story is that we are all 'the best' at something, even if we don't have wings!
Mike picked The Wheels on The School Bus up at the local library to pacify his school bus addiction (by the way his Lala enables this addiction). I was pleasantly surprised by the creative spin Mary- Alice Moore put to the old song. The entire elementary school staff loads onto the bus and they each say something to reflect their job... My favorite is the librarian who says "Read, read, read!" This would make a great first week of school book or a fun pattern book in your Writer's Workshop.
Keith Grave did it! He wrote a children's book that made me laugh out loud. Boo-Hoo Moo is a story about a depressed cow who drives her barn yard friends nuts with her awful singing. This book is about team work and perfect for classroom team building and relationships.
So happy teaching and happy learning!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words about my book! I wrote it because my (then) toddler son loved school buses. I love the image of teachers "misbbehaving" on the bus! Cheers, Mary-Alice Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute - thanks for sharing these books! Good books can't be beat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running out to get Boo Hoo Moo. My daughter is obsessed with cows and this seems like such a different take then the traditional farm books. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to check out those books - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Miss Literacy Coach! I need some help. I'm trying to find some books that would be good with kinder. to read to fill time (you never know how long it will take to clean up) about getting along, being a good friend, being yourself. Just fun books. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Let's go make something,

Kristy

Our Favorite Things