Friday, July 24, 2009

I Love Sandra Lee!

If you have not caught her new show, Money Saving Meals, you should! I DVR it every Sunday. My mom also has me hooked on her new magazine that has not only good family food, but some crafts and decorating ideas, too. So as I was watching her show, I rememberd that I have 1/2 a package of turkey sausage left over from my baked ziti last week and even though I only have egg noodles, I could make this! At first I thought it would be too much like the baked ziti, but they were nothing alike. This is one meal we will add to our regular menue for sure!
Penne Pasta with Cheesy Garlic Bread
Pasta:
  • 1 pound of penne pasta (I used egg noodles because that is what I had)
  • 2 T of olive oil
  • 1/2 med yellow onion, diced
  • 1 T garlic, chopped
  • 1 T fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1 T fresh basil, chopped
  • 2 and 1/2 links of Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1/4" pieces
  • 1 (28oz) can of diced tomatoes (I used Italian style)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/4 C heavy cream (I used whole milk because that is what I had)
  • basil leaves for garnish

Bread:

  • 4 slices
  • of ready made garlic Texas toast
  • 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 T fresh rosemary, chopped

Boil pasta according to package directions. In a deep skillet over med-high heat cook onions, garlic, and herbs in Olive oil until onions are soft and clear. Add sausage, cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook all ingredients together. Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream and mix well. Add in drained pasta and coat with sauce. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with basil leaves.

Meanwhile... preheat oven to 400'. Place bread on baking sheet. Top with cheese and rosemary. Bake for 10 20 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly!

1 comment:

  1. Yumm!!!! You need to write your own mommy /gourmet cookbook. Maybe a mother and son cookbook?

    ReplyDelete

Let's go make something,

Kristy

Our Favorite Things