Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mad Scissor Skills

My very first year of teaching, I taught Pre-K. And the very first week I learned a big lesson... kids don't know how to use scissors! I had to stop and think how exactly to teach this skill I had taken for granted. And every year, no matter what grade I taught, we always went back and reviewed cutting skills. So Mike is three and wanted to cut... I found a cheap pair of scissors at the dollar store (although I highly recommend the rounded "Total Control" Fiskars brand of scissors like these) and we started our cutting lesson.First, I taught him my scissor song... because it helps with safety...
The Scissors Song
(tune of Row Your Boat)
Cut, cut, cut your paper.
Cut it on the line.
Don't cut you pants,
Your shirt,
Or hair.
Just cut it on the line.
Then, we try to hold the scissors correctly. Thumb in the small hole, pointer finger out to guide, two fingers in the big hole, and the pinkie is the tail. Now, let's make confetti!
Next, is snipping. We can snip paper to make cool things.
And last... let's cut on the line. This one takes practice!
Soon he will be ready for bigger projects and his future kindergarten teacher is gonna LOVE me!
PS. Tongue sticking out of the mouth no necessary for precise cutting!

7 comments:

  1. Mikey does have mad scissor skills!!! And I love the song. I'll have to use it in the art room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES,the tongue out is nessary in the Cook family when concentrating so hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...the scissor song is so cool! (And you know how I love music.) Thanks for the lesson, Kristy Fey!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family does the sticking out of the tongue for concentration thing too! You should see my mom sew- so funny! I love your scissor song too and the great toothbrush idea. I hadn't seen that before. I might have to incorporate that in my beginning of the year lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mad skills Mike! Mad! Well done teacher mom! Now lower case letters!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. POINTER OUT TO GUIDE?!??! Where do it go? Darn I missed pre-K! I'll try it again with the tongue help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the song, too! I had never heard that one before. Mike's K teacher will love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's go make something,

Kristy

Our Favorite Things