Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Baked Ziti & Rosemary Focaccias

One of my goals this summer was to build up on our monthly menus. With another baby coming I need meals that are yummy, easy to make, but still makes me feel like I really cooked. We were watching Down Home With The Neelys on TFN and Adam and I both thought "we HAVE to try this." Mine is a little different, but the same basic idea. You can easily sneak it some veggie purees. Plus, his is one of those meals that is better the next day and will be great to freeze before Adelyn arrives!
Baked Ziti With Italian Sausage
1lb Ziti 1lb Italian turkey sausage (casing removed)
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes
2T Italian seasoning
1T fresh basil, chopped
15 oz of ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 375'F

Boil ziti until al dente and drain. Saute garlic, onions, bell pepper, and sausage until sausage is cooked. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and basil. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Mix ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese in a large bowl. Add ziti, then Sausage mixture, then cheese mixture to a baking dish. Give it a good toss and top with a handful (or two) of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and crisp on top. (next time I will just use already made spaghetti sauce) This is one of my favorite sides. It comes from a Bisquick cookbook and I always have everything it calls for already in the pantry. Mike like to snack on these, too.

Mini Rosemary Garlic Focaccias
(makes 2 dozen)
2 1/4 C Bisquick
2/3 C milk
2 t olive oil
rosemary
(I use mine from the garden, but dried works just as well)
garlic powder
Preheat oven to 450' F
Mix Bisquick and milk until soft dough is formed and it is easy to handle. You can add more Bisquick if it gets too wet. Roll out dough to 1/4inch thick and dust with Bisquick. Cut with 2 inch cookie cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle on the rosemary and garlic. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. These are best right from the oven and are sooo easy to make.

2 comments:

  1. Can I come over for dinner? Paul is working late and I got nothin'!
    ~Allison
    *I may need that Bisquick cookbook. But really... I am surprised that you had any Bisquick in your pantry after Mike found it that day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's go make something,

Kristy

Our Favorite Things